Tuesday 5 July 2011

Texas or Bust - Queso, Fried Pickles and BBQ, Oh My!

I'm not sure Texas was ever on my "must see places in the US" list, but as luck would have it, Andrew and I snagged the new Qantas promo flights to promote their new route from Australia to Dallas/Fort Worth so we figured why not?

It turns out, Texas is pretty awesome! We stayed in Fort Worth and enjoyed doing all the touristy Texas things that caught our eye. We started out going to the Stockyards where we saw some pretty gosh darn big long horn cattle being steered through the streets by cowboys. We also lucked out an saw a mock quick draw gun fight where one whip quick old cowboy managed to out draw 3 bad burglars who were trying to take off with the earnings of the good ol' Texas Saloon. Pretty intense!






We also spent a day at the water park which was fun and refreshing as it was quite hot in Texas! We cooled off a couple of nights with frozen custard (ummm delicious much!?!) and I enjoyed frequent dinners at various Mexican restaurants having a "Who has the best Queso" competition. Yummo! I think that may be my favorite competition ever. I also introduced Andrew to fried pickles and some really delicious BBQ. He's a fan.



We ended our trip to Texas by spending a day in Dallas at the 6th Floor Museum where we saw some pretty interesting details and artifacts about the assassination of JFK. It was actually pretty creepy being up on the 6th floor and looking out the window where Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK as he drove past in the motorcade.


After the 6th Floor Museum we drove through the Texas Countryside to visit Dinosaur Valley State Park where we saw some dino footprints and a few Dinosaur replicas true to size! Scary!




Texas was a great start to our mini Southern Tour. Someday I think we'll get back there... even if it's just to continue my "Queso" competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment